Blistered Shishito Peppers with Honey-Soy Polenta
A super simple and flavorful appetizer, these Blistered Shishito Peppers with Spiced Honey-Soy Polenta whips up in less than 10 minutes, bringing tons of flavor to the dinner table!
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Add the milk and chicken stock to a medium-sized pot and heat over medium-high until boiling. Whish in the polenta and reduce heat to a simmer, stirring frequently, until polenta is thickened and soft, about 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add the butter, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Whisk together honey, soy sauce, and hot chili oil until combined and set aside.
Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat to medium-high. Pierce each shishito pepper once to allow heat and steam to escape the peppers. Once hot, add the shishito peppers in a single layer and cook until bottoms are charred, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
To serve, spoon polenta into a bowl, then add the shishito peppers. Drizzle the peppers and polenta with the honey-soy sauce and enjoy!
- don't leave peppers unattended in the skillet as they cook very very quickly. You want them charred but not completely burnt.
- gently warming the honey makes it easier to whisk with the soy sauce and chili oil, but it's not necessary if you don't mind it. The heat of the peppers and polenta will warm it up as well.
- if you don't have any hot chili oil, you can whisk in some cayenne pepper to the honey mixture, starting with ⅛ teaspoon and adjusting the heat from there.
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 843mg | Potassium: 162mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 248IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg