I’m often asked, and sometimes meanly emailed, how I’m not 500 pounds, because I post such decadent treats and filling dishes. I thought it would be obvious, but I guess it’s something that needs clarifying! I run a household with my husband and six kids, so I am not eating these things all by myself. Ha ha ha, oh man, I would DIE if that was the case. But in reality, I get tiny portions of the things I make, because I know what I can and can’t eat, and so I take care to enjoy my food while not going overboard.
I dislike giving things up. Adverse to change. Lover of everything terrible and delicious. Whatever you may call it. I’m going to eat it, but eat it smartly.
So anyway, back to this here cheesy bacon egg bake. Cause, bacon. BACON. When I was editing these photos, I had a brain lapse and couldn’t figure out why I had no process photos for this dish. But duh! I Periscoped the whole thing! Are you familiar with Periscope? It’s an app that allows you to live stream whatever you want, and if you have your settings correct, you can leave the videos available for replay for 24 hours. People all over the world can watch you do whatever you do, and it is SO FUN. So yeah, I Periscoped this at like…11:30 at night, and it quickly became a party of ridiculous fun. It was Cooking After Hours, essentially. So much fun. And the next morning, everyone came back to see the finished baked product. If you aren’t on Periscope, go download the app and then add me (asimplepantry) so you can join in my weird tactics.
It is truly Karly, unedited. Language too…not that I ever really watch my tongue on here, but you know, I get in the moment. Ha!
Now! I told you back on the 1st that I was teaming up with some badass bacon-loving ladies! Here are the posts you can check out today, and be sure to enter the giveaway for an awesome baconlicious prize pack HERE!
Now, are you ready to make this cheesy bacon egg bake that I’ve literally told you nothing about? It’s so easy, it’s scary. You’ve got this, go make it!
- 3 ½ C Hashbrown Cubes thawed
- 12 oz Bacon
- 1 ½ C Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 ½ C Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Bunch Green Onions chopped
- 4 Eggs
- 1 C Milk
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay out the bacon in strips width-wise. Bake for 14 minutes, or until just crispy. Remove from pan and let drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 Tbsp of the bacon grease in a small frying pan over medium heat, add the green onions, and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until they begin to brown and become fragrant.
- In a greased 9-inch, deep dish pie plate, add the potatoes evenly across the bottom of the plate. Add the cheeses on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the cooked green onions over the cheese.
- Crumble the bacon into small chunks, then spread it evenly over the top of the potato, cheese, and onion mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, then carefully pour over the contents of the plate, and gently shake the plate to fully distribute the egg mixture. Cover, then place in the fridge overnight, or for 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove cover from pie plate and place in the oven, bake for 60 minutes, or until the cheese is just starting to brown and the center has set. Remove from oven and allow to sit for a few minutes before slicing.