Simple ingredients combine in the most flavorful way to create this stunning Italian Chopped Salad! Crisp red onion and hearty chickpeas mingle with a heady, oregano-laced vinaigrette before being tossed with ribbons of meat, cheese, and sliced pepperoncini for an explosion of deliciousness! Ready in minutes, this salad will quickly become a staple dinner or side dish any day of the year, so dig in!
How To Make This Chopped Salad Recipe
I start with the vinaigrette! The nice thing about this salad is that you prepare the entire thing in one bowl, so no need to have separate bowls to whip up the dressing.
- I like using a handheld grinder to crush the garlic, oregano, and salt together. You can also use a crucible, but I find the grinder gets things done faster.
- Let the salt dissolve completely in the vinegar before whisking in the olive oil, then add the onion, chickpeas, meats, cheese, and pepperoncini and toss well to coat.
- Chop the lettuce and radicchio into thin ribbons to get that true chopped salad appearance, or cut it however you’d like, because you’re the one eating it!
Really, that’s all there is to it. Easy, peasy, delicious.
Italian Chopped Salad Recipe
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained
- 1 small red onion halved and sliced paper-thin
- 8 ounces provolone cheese sliced into ¼-inch ribbons
- 4 ounces salami sliced into ¼-inch ribbons
- 4 ounces pepperoni sliced into ¼-inch ribbons
- 6 pepperoncini peppers sliced into thin rings
- 1 head iceberg lettuce halved, cored, and sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 1 head radicchio halved, cored, and sliced into ¼-inch strips
- Using a grinder or crucible, crush together the garlic, oregano, and salt until grainy paste forms. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and whisk in the lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Once the salt dissolves, whisk in the olive oil.
- Add the chickpeas, red onion, provolone, salami, and pepperoni to the bowl and toss well with the dressing. Add the pepperoncini and toss once more.
- Add half of the lettuce and radicchio and carefully toss to coat, then add the remaining lettuce and radicchio and toss once more. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- I recommend a medium-to-large-sized head of lettuce for this salad.
- Serving size and nutrition is based on enjoying this salad as a full meal.
Share your photo and tag @asimplepantry or #asimplepantry!
Leave a Review