This post has been sponsored by 7UP®, though all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who support A Simple Pantry!
We really don’t discriminate.
But today! We’re having some fun in the sun. We aren’t just going tropical here, we’re going eXoTiC!
As much as I love to slow down and make a scratch recipe, there are times that I really love going halfway-homemade and experimenting with ingredients.
Like carnitas! And guacamole! And this amazing mango sheet cake!
There is something to be said for getting simple recipes done in a hurry. It’s usually along the lines of let’s eat!
I know, I am so lame. I can’t force funny to save my own life. It’s like a rainbow; only happens when everything in the world lines up just so.
Hailing from my little midwestern hometown, Hy-Vee is obviously the flagship store for all our grocery needs, which is where I picked up a lovely supply of my fave 7UP. Even better? Use this coupon for $1 off your 7UP products!
Everyone knows I am all about that lemon-lime goodness. 7UP has that perfect combination of being just sweet enough with the perfect amount crisp to balance it all out.
So, you can imagine when I happened upon 7UP’s pineapple sheet cake, I fell in love. But not only that, I thought to myself:
Zomg Karly, do you think you could make something like this, but with mango instead?
What I love about pineapple is that it’s sweet, but also a little bit tart, which pairs perfectly with the yellow cake and vanilla pudding mix.
Mango, I find, is more of that straight sugary sweetness, which I adore, but I didn’t want to get overloaded with an equally sweet cake.
Hello lemon my old friend.
Seems like an obvious choice, right? We’re basically swapping the sweet and tart components!
I went with some of my basic pantry staples like lemon cake mix, lemon pudding, and of course, my lovely stash of 7UP. Some eggs, some oil, and a few minutes of that extra special baking prowess and BAM! Dessert is served.
I kind of feel like I should call this a mango right-side-up cake.
Again, because I lack any ability to be naturally funny. JUST LAUGH OK.
But anyway, let’s skip the cherries. This sauce is almost like a mango curd, which is kind of amazing and I love it.
And if you’re a person who doesn’t like frosting on their cake, then this one is totally for you too. So Mix It Up A Little at your local Hy-Vee and grab some 7UP (but don’t forget that coupon!) and get to baking, because when it comes to simple recipes, sweets are king here!
For the Topping
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 15 oz can diced mango, undrained
- 2 eggs well beaten
- ½ cup unsalted butter
For the Cake
- 1 15 oz box lemon cake mix
- 1 3.4 oz box lemon pudding
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 12 oz 7UP
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Add in the mango, eggs, and unsalted butter and stir gently to combine. Heat over medium-low until thickened, stirring constantly, around 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, and oil and beat well to combine. Add in the 7UP and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed until smooth. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Remove from oven.
- Spread mango topping over warm cake, then cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!