This blog post is sponsored by KING’S HAWAIIAN® but the opinions and recipes are all my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who support A Simple Pantry! #GameTimeGrilling
How’s that football going? It doesn’t matter if your team is a loser, because with these BBQ Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs, you are definitely winning for sure.
See what I did there? I’m so clever.
My team is miraculously winning, so I am keeping my fingers crossed, and maybe making these bacon wrapped hot dogs every week for good luck. It can’t hurt, right? Superstitions are a thing, after all.
Can you believe that I’ve never had a bacon wrapped hot dog until I started playing with this recipe? Blasphemy, I know.
It’s even worse because omg look what I have been missing out on?! These things are amazing!
I went with KING’S HAWAIIAN® Hot Dogs Buns, as well their Smoked Bacon BBQ Sauce, and they were a perfect combination of sweet and savory for this grill-worthy delight.
Also, onion strings are hella fun to make. I definitely think you need a good mandoline for them, though, if you want to get them thin enough for true onion strings. I deep fried them on the stovetop in a pot, but seriously, if you have a countertop deep fryer, it would be perfect for these babies.
The hot dogs themselves are super super easy. Just wrap one dog with one piece of bacon and slap it on a medium-high grill. Once the bacon is nice and crispy, you’re good to go, cause that dog is going to be perfect on the inside.
And, if you’re anything like me, you want to score all the goodies to make an easy football meal with the Combo Loco deals at your local HEB! I could not live without my HEB, I swear.
Like, wither away and die. It’s sad.
If you like a little irony in your life, use some delicious kosher hot dogs for this dish. And don’t skimp on that KING’S HAWAIIAN® Smoked Bacon BBQ Sauce either!
- 1 Large White Onion thinly sliced
- ½ C Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Cracked Peppercorns
- 8 Hot Dogs
- 8 Slices Bacon
- Canola Oil
- 2 C All-Purpose Flour
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Cracked Peppercorns
- ½ C KING'S HAWAIIAN® Smoked Bacon BBQ Sauce
- 1 C Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Package KING'S HAWAIIAN® Hot Dog Buns
- In a large bowl, add the sliced onions, buttermilk, salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine and thoroughly saturate. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare grill to medium heat. Wrap one hot dog with one strip of bacon and repeat with the remaining dogs and bacon. Place on the grill and allow to cook until the bacon is crispy and the hot dogs are thoroughly cooked, around 15-20 minutes. Remove from direct heat and keep warm until ready to plate.
- In a large pot with several inches of canola oil, heat to 350 degrees. Add the flour, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper to a large, deep bowl and dredge the soaked onions until coated. Tap off the excess coating, then submerge in the oil and gently pull large clumps apart with tongs or a heat-proof fork. Allow to fry for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy, then remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remain onions until done.
- Add one bacon wrapped hot dog to each hot dog bun, then slather with the Smoked Bacon BBQ sauce. Top with the cheddar cheese and a heaping pile of onion strings. Serve immediately.