Hold the phone, folks. I know what you are thinking. You’re looking up there at the title and wondering, Karly, have you lost your damn mind?! I mean, right? How can something be both meatless and beefy? It’s like this crazy paradox and I am pulling you through a wormhole at warp speed and I have no idea if I’m saying any of that right because I am not a Trekkie. Whoa.
No! I have not lost my mind, but rather, I’ve had it blown. Mind=Blown. Cause what I’ve got here for you today is Gardein Beefless Ground. This is what is making my Meatless Beefy Calabacitas. And it is so freaking yum. It surprised me! Totally Sold=This Girl.
I mean, look at that. It looks like ground beef. And the texture matches too! The flavor is just a tiny bit different, but in a good way. A flavorful way. This is going to be your favoritest vegetarian meal ever. And also, FASTEST. Because this dish comes together in only 15 minutes! Which is great when you forget that it’s a school night and the kids need to get to bed early and you’re still sitting at your desk putzing around on Facebook like you’re important but really…no? Just me? Well then.
The girls gobbled this up in no time flat, because it was already their favorite dish, but the new twists I added, using Gardein Beefless Ground, as well as some omg amazing Chili Cumin cottonseed oil, this is a crazy delicious party in your mouth that you do not want to miss. You will regret it! Absolutely. I kind of want to make more right meow. But it’s late and I am officially lazy.
Now, this recipe is gluten free, but you can also make it vegan by subbing out the Monterey Jack cheese for a hearty sprinkling of nutritional yeast or cashew cheese. Now I kind of want to try it all three ways and see which I like best. I like nutritional yeast, but the flavor is bolder than Monterey Jack. Cashew cheese sounds like it would be more up my alley. I’m babbling. Tell me how you like it.
Now, before we get to the recipe for this meatless beefy calabacitas, how about I give you a chance to win dinner on me? Yeah? I have one more giveaway going for dinner on me, so be sure to head over there and enter, cause who doesn’t like double the chances, am I right?
- 2 Tbsp Chili Cumin Cottonseed Oil*
- 2 Large Zucchini sliced in half lengthwise then into thin slices widthwise
- 1 Large Yellow Squash. sliced in half and into thin slices
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 7 oz Gardein Beefless Ground
- 2 C Frozen Corn
- 1 C Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- Handful Fresh Cilantro roughly torn
- Heat a large skillet over medium, medium-high heat. Add the Chili Cumin oil*, then the zucchini and squash. Allow to sit for a minute before stirring, then sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Stir gently, then let sit, and stir again. Cook for around 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is browning and softening just a bit.
- Add the Gardein Beefless Ground and corn and mix thoroughly, cooking for an additional 5 minutes, or until the ground is nice and brown and the corn is hot. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Sprinkle with the Monterery Jack cheese and allow to melt, then remove from heat, garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.