I really love an easy dessert, especially one that relies on the natural sweetness of fruits and a touch of honey. It’s hard not to love that. And with all the amazing fruits in season right now, the options are endless when it comes to making a pretty little galette!
I went with a Strawberry Peach Galette because they are my daughters’ favorite fruits, as well as my own, so it was kind of a no-brainer. Plus, the girls have been sick lately, so it was the perfect excuse to make them something delicious that is also packed full of vitamins and minerals, to help them feel better faster. I think it worked from the very first bite, ha ha ha.
I made my own pie dough for this strawberry peach galette, using a super crazy basic recipe. It’s pretty much fail-proof and takes only a few minutes to prepare, so don’t grab a ready-made pie crust, I promise this will be easy, and better tasting! The whole galette comes together in about 20 minutes, then bakes for another 30 and then voila! Delicious galette noms! Top it with some homemade whipped cream or chopped up mint and dive right in.
Strawberry Peach GalettePrint Pin Rate
For the Dough
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry cutter. two knives, or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add the water and mix with a fork just until the dough pulls together.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk. Lift the dough and give it a quarter turn. Lightly dust the top of the dough or the rolling pin with flour as needed, then roll out into a round at least 12 inches in diameter and about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the peach and strawberry slices, lime juice, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Stir gently to combine.
- Top the dough with the almond flour, leaving 2 inches clear around the edge. Add the peach and strawberry mixture, either in a swirl pattern, or just heaped in a single layer, again leaving 2 inches clear.
- Wrap the edge of the dough up and over the strawberry peach mixture, then whisk together the egg and water in a small dish and use it to wash the edge of the dough. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar, then bake for 30 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.