This Corn and Arugula Salad Recipe with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce whips up in minutes and is full of flavor! With quick-roasted corn, this simple side dish pairs perfectly with pretty much any meal, or as a standalone lunch option. Topped with optional cotija cheese, this recipe is a fun twist on an inspired dish from my trip to Israel!
Why Make This Recipe
I tried a version of this salad while touring with the wonderful people of Vibe Israel, and I’ve been obsessed with it ever since. I’ve really been enjoying diving into the freshness of Israeli cuisine, and this recipe was inspired by all the bold flavors I got to experience around the country.
It’s so fast to throw together, and so full of flavor, and it even uses my new fave condiment, my red bell pepper paste!
How to Roast Corn
When I originally made this dish, I roasted the corn in the oven. To do that, you want to set it to broil and put the rack near the top of the oven.
From there you place the corn in a sheet pan and rotate the ears frequently as the kernels char, because you want them nice and blackened, but not mushy. The process can take about 10 minutes or more, and once charred you let the corn cool enough to touch so you can cut the kernels off!
I wanted to make this even faster, however, so on my next attempt, I cut off the kernels first and pan-charred them like I do for the chimichurri corn tacos.
Just a nice, dry skillet on high heat and you’re good in about 3-4 minutes!
What’s In The Roasted Red Pepper Sauce?
Just a few simple ingredients!
- roasted red bell pepper paste
- lots o’ lime juice
- salt and pepper
That’s it! Seriously!
How To Assemble This Arugula Salad
Again, it’s super simple!
- add charred corn to a large bowl
- stir in red pepper paste, lime juice, salt and pepper
- toss to combine
- gently stir in fresh arugula
- plate, then garnish with sliced serrano peppers and optional cotija cheese
You could also sprinkle some cilantro in there for good measure, if you’re feeling frisky.
What can I use instead of red bell pepper paste?
- I would use oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes. The flavor is very overpowering, so you only need maybe two, just wipe them down from the excess oil and whiz them up in a blender with the lime juice, then season with salt and pepper.
Is this recipe vegan?
- so long as you forego the optional cheese, it’s vegan!
Corn and Arugula Salad Recipe with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels to the dry skillet and let char until kernels blacken, around 3-4 minutes, stirring rarely. Remove from heat and add to a large bowl.
- Stir in the red bell pepper paste and lime juice and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss once more. Gently stir in the arugula, then adjust seasoning as desired. Sprinkle with optional cotija cheese, then garnish with serrano slices and cilantro and serve.