It has been a crazy busy week around here since it was Spring Break and the weather has been nothing short of fantastic. We spent a lot of time outside just playing with the kids and soaking up the sunshine, but with so much play, we need a lot of fuel, and fast, to keep us going. Easy meal solutions are the key, like this easy mac n cheese, which may be one of my favorite quick dishes to date.
I stuck to simple pantry staples to make this an easy chili mac n cheese: canned beans, canned tomatoes, beef broth, and Horizon Organic Super Mac, which boasts a whopping 12 grams of protein, making this dish chock-full of all the things your body needs to keep it fueled and ready for fun! It’s super flavorful too, with cumin, chili powder, fresh onion and garlic. The whole thing comes together in just 30 minutes, whoop whoop!
Since the kids have been such troupers, we’ve been letting them snack on the delicious new Horizon Organic Strawberry Super Squeeze, which is a mix of milk and fruit, and the girls just go crazy for it! It’s great when we’re out and about and need a quick pick-me-up before we go home for dinner. With 5 grams of protein, you can’t go wrong!
Easy Chili Mac N Cheese
- 3/4 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 White Onion, finely diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 4 C Beef Broth
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 1 Can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Box Horizon Organic Super Mac
- 1/4 C 2% Milk
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- In a medium saucepan, heat water to boiling for the macaroni. While the water heats up, place a large saucepan over medium high heat and add the ground beef, breaking it into small pieces until it completely browned, around 4 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until softened, around 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the beef broth, tomatoes, and beans, as well as the cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Gently stir all the ingredients together and bring to a boil for one minute, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer.
- In the medium saucepan, cook the macaroni noodles per the instructions on the box, around 8-10 minutes. Drain thoroughly and return to the pot. Add the enclosed cheese packet, as well as the milk and butter and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Dump the mac n cheese into the pot with the chili and stir gently, then serve immediately.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organics. The opinions and text are all mine.