Take a break from the ordinary and serve up these Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken Tacos topped with a fresh pineapple, mango, and avocado salsa for dinner this Taco Tuesday!
It may be the dead of winter around here, but that doesn’t mean we can’t escape to a tropical paradise, and that’s exactly what we do when we make these spectacular Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken Tacos.
what is huli huli chicken?
Huli Huli is traditionally a grilled chicken dish over mesquite, that’s basted with a sweet and salty tropical marinade consisting of:
- pineapple juice
- soy sauce
- fresh ginger
The sauce is rounded off with ketchup, chicken broth, brown sugar, and garlic, for immense flavor.
how do I keep this recipe gluten free?
what if I don’t have a grill?
I prefer to use a pan that’s a bit higher-sided so I can fit a lid over it when the chicken is cooking, but if you pound out the chicken to a thinner, even size, you can skip the lid, because the chicken will cook very quickly then.
pineapple, mango, and avocado salsa
I would honestly say it’s more like a fresh pico de gallo than a true salsa, but it’s every bit as delicious.
You definitely want to grab a fresh mango and avocado, but you can use canned pineapple if you prefer. I know cutting up a pineapple can be a pain sometimes.
Dice everything up into a uniform size, and mix with cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
The flavors really complement and even out the sweet and salty of the huli huli chicken tacos.
You really can’t go wrong with street tacos, and these Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken Tacos will make a wonderful addition to any taco lineup, and a fun flavor profile for your Taco Tuesday pursuits. Who’s ready to eat?!
eat more tacos
Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken Tacos
Huli Huli Chicken
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 24 mini corn tortillas
Pineapple, Mango, Avocado Salsa
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 1 cup fresh mango, diced
- 1 cup avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- pinch sea salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, chicken broth, ginger, and garlic. Reserve 1 cup of the marinade in a separate bowl and set aside. Add the chicken to the main bowl and coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the pineapple, mango, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice. Toss gently to combine, then sprinkle with sea salt, cover, and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat and gently brush with oil or cooking spray. Drain the chicken and discard the marinade, then grill, covered, for 6-8 minutes per side, or until no longer pink and a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion reads 165 degrees. Baste occasionally with reserved marinade, then dice the chicken into small pieces.
- Divide the chicken and salsa between the tortillas and serve immediately.