First off, I need to give a shout out to the lovely Joni, of Six Cherries On Top, because she was the inspiration behind these little goodies. She recently shared via instagram some simple little baked eggs with various toppings in them that her family absolutely gobbled up, and I thought it would be fun to whip up my own version.
I wanted them to be fun and different, but still edible (obviously), and kid approved. Sometimes it’s hard to score a win in just one of those categories, let alone three, so I was aiming high here. I decided to follow the roots of my husband and children and spice it up a notch, and boy did I ever win big. The kids asked for seconds, and that, my friends never happens. I’m still not sure today is real? Am I dreaming? Somebody pinch me, I’m not Irish!
These sassy little egg bites contain a good amount of homemade salsa, as well as a small amount of shredded potato and Monterey Jack cheese. I used a fresh potato and grated it, rather than thawing out frozen hasbrowns, because I didn’t need enough to warrant a big bag of potatoes.
A tip when using fresh potatoes: use paper towels to squeeze out the excess liquid after grating, because you don’t want the extra liquid in your Salsa Egg Bites. Squeeze those taters hard!
I hope you enjoy these little taste-packed bundles of awesome. You could even go so far as to make a double or triple batch and freeze them for later, they make a perfect in-a-hurry breakfast, since all you have to do is heat them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and voila! done and done.
What would be your favorite ingredients in an Egg Bite?
- 6 Large Eggs
- ¼ C Shredded Potato
- ½ C Fresh Salsa
- ½ C Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Press 2 tsp. of shredded potato into the bottom of 6 muffin molds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, then add ¼ C of the whisked eggs into each mold, on top of the potatoes.
- Spoon in a heaping Tablespoon of salsa into each sup, then sprinkle with a light layer of Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, then allow to sit in the muffin for five minutes before eating.