When it’s a sultry 90 degrees in South Texas, you turn to ice cream to cool down. I mean, right? It’s ice cream, or maybe a margarita, or a popsicle. Something cold. It just has to be cold. This no churn strawberries and cream homemade ice cream recipe really hits the spot, though. With a super simple strawberry sauce using the freshest in-season berries (zomg) and a thick, whipped cream base, this ice cream aims to please, and is easily my most fave ice cream ever.
It was gone in a single serving. Seriously. There are too many people in this house, I swear.
Strawberries and Cream Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
For the Strawberry Sauce
- 1 lb. Fresh Strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1 C Water
For the Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 C Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 14 oz Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 C Strawberry Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and water. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to a low boil and allow to cook for 20 minutes, or until a thick sauce forms. Remove from heat, then strain the sauce into a bowl, pressing down on the strawberries to release more juice. Discard the solids and refrigerate the sauce until cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla. Using a whisk attachment, whip together until the mixture is light and fluffy, around 5 minutes.
- Spread 1/3 of the cream base into a loaf pan, then spoon 1/4 cup of the strawberry sauce over the cream. Use a butter knife to swirl the strawberry sauce into the cream, then repeat layering with the cream and strawberry sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 4 hours, or until firm. Serve with remaining strawberry sauce, or fresh diced strawberries.
I may be obsessed with this strawberry sauce, however. It is so simple and so delicious, without being overly sweet. It does help having deliciously ripe strawberries, especially when they are Poteet Strawberries, cause yum. And it goes just perfectly inside this homemade ice cream. Like, I am not sure how many more ways I can say this ish is pure bliss.
I need to make more right meow. Do I even have enough cream? Shoot.
I am honestly unsure why I don’t make more homemade ice cream. I mean, seriously, it is so freaking easy. You don’t even need to whip the cream and milk, you could just stir it together and throw it in the freezer and be done. My lemon meringue ice cream is just a simple throw together like that. Though whipping it would have made incorporating the meringue easier, but there is definitely a difference in the taste between whipped and non-whipped cream base. It’s all delicious, though, so you don’t really have to worry about it.
I dunno, I feel like I am rambling. It could be because I got like zero sleep due to severe weather and the fact that Charli decided to party in my bed, and the kitten decided it was time to attack both of us for several hours straight. Whatevs.
It’s my party and I’ll eat homemade ice cream if I wanna. Strawberries and cream FTW!