This post is sponsored by Florida Crystals®, though all opinions and recipes are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who support A Simple Pantry!I almost don’t know if I want to qualify these delicious delights as breakfast or dessert, they’re kind of both! Sweet and savory waffle recipes are so much fun to play around with, and these chocolate waffles definitely fit the bill.
When it comes to treats, I’m weird. I tend to classify anything that doesn’t have chocolate as traditionally sweet, and everything with chocolate or nuts as savory sweet.
I know, it’s weird.
If I want to satisfy a sweets craving, I need a sweet sweet, but sometimes I need a savory sweet, especially if I lack a salty snack to balance everything out.
I’m comfortable making my kids these sweet and savory waffle recipes because they only require a few simple ingredients, and because I can top them with a minty triple berry compote instead of traditional syrup.
Lately, I’ve been swapping out my regular sugar for Florida Crystals, because they are America’s first and only producer of certified organic sugar that’s 100% suitable for vegetarian and vegan cuisine.
Hello, Earth-friendly FTW!
I am all about products that focus on sustainable agriculture and protecting natural resources, so making the switch to Florida Crystals is a no-brainer, indeed!
In the spirit of goodness and the upcoming Earth Day, Florida Crystals is giving away an Herb Garden Gift Basket! This awesome kit includes:
- Williams-Sonoma Herb Planting Kit
- Recipe Card
- Florida Crystals® Product/Coupon
- Custom Herb Packet
How do you enter? Head over to @FloridaCrystalsSugar on Instagram and enter for a chance to win! Giveaway ends on 04/23/17, so enter now!
And tell me, what are your favorite herbs? Mine are basil, mint, cilantro, rosemary…I kind of love them all. Is that OK? I think so. HERB LOVE.
Sweet and Savory Chocolate Waffles with Triple Berry Compote
For the Triple Berry Compote
- 2 cups mixed fresh or frozen berries
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- In a small pot over medium-high heat, add the berries, mint, and sugar. Allow to cook down, gently mashing the berries as they cook, until a syrup forms, around 6-10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the chia seeds, and allow to sit until thickened.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the waffle ingredients, then pour into a heated and greased waffle iron, and cook until crisp. Top with triple berry compote and enjoy!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Florida Crystals. The opinions and text are all mine.