A one-skillet meal perfect for fall and winter, this simple Spaghetti Pie recipe is full of flavor and also completely gluten-free! A basic marinara sauce is tossed with fragrant and lightly fried fresh herbs, then baked with a thick layer of triple cheese deliciousness. Simple swaps give this traditionally rich dish a more healthful twist, without sacrificing time or flavor, so dive on into dinner tonight!
Why Make This Spaghetti Pie Recipe?
The obvious reason is that it’s delicious, of course!
- it takes only one skillet, eliminating the many pots and pan of traditional spaghetti, so less cleanup!
- jarred marinara for a pantry staple win
- ready in an under 45 minutes, perfect for weeknights
- did I mention, cheese?
How Do I Make This Dish Healthier?
There may be a lot of cheese going on in this dinner, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make it a little healthier.
By using Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil:
- we replace excess saturated fat with better-for-you monounsaturated fat, which can help maintain heart health, by choosing the best oil to prep the herbs, spices, and garlic. Thrive Algae Oil contains 90% monounsaturated fat, which is 25% more good fat than olive oil!
How To Use Thrive® Algae Oil In This Spaghetti Pie Recipe
In a fashion similar to the chicken Milanese, we are using this algae oil for frying! Instead of frying crispy chicken, however, we’re tossing fresh herbs, garlic, and red pepper flakes together and letting the neutral oil bring out all the best flavor and fragrances from each herb.
It’s the second reason why I reach for Thrive®, I love letting the flavor of my foods shine.
Plus, with its high smoking point of up to 485 degrees, I know I am not going to ruin my delicate herbs in the process. Holla!
What Gluten-Free Spaghetti Should I Use?
I personally went with chickpea pasta! Why?
- higher protein content versus traditional gluten-free pastas made from corn and rice
- more fiber, and less carbs!
How Do I Make This Gluten-Free Spaghetti Pie?
- heat Thrive Algae Oil and fry fresh herbs, garlic, and red pepper flakes
- stir in the marinara and water
- add the pasta and cook to al dente
- stir in cheese and egg mixture
- top with mozzarella and bake
Is this a meatless spaghetti pie?
- Yes! But you can definitely feel free to add a half-pound of ground italian sausage or ground beef, which I would cook in the skillet first, then transfer to a plate and set aside, adding it back into the dish before stirring in the egg-cheese mixture.
What do I do with leftover spaghetti pie?
- Since it really IS like a pie, you can slice it up and store it in the fridge for a few days. Reheat it in the microwave at half-power in 2-minute increments until hot. PRO TIP: I like to add a shot glass of water to the tray to pump moisture back into the pie, melting the cheese instead of turning it hard like microwaves tend to do.
Where can I find Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil?
What To Serve With Spaghetti Pie
Gluten Free Spaghetti Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1 pound chickpea spaghetti
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large 12-inch oven-safe high-sided skillet, combine the Thrive Algae Oil, garlic, fresh basil, fresh oregano, fresh parsley, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat, stirring, often until the garlic is golden and very fragrant, about 5 minutes. Carefully add the marinara sauce and water, and season with salt and pepper. Add the chickpea spaghetti, breaking it in half if needed to fit in the pan. Increase the heat to heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir frequently until the spaghetti is al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- While the spaghetti cooks, combine the ricotta, parmesan, and eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Mixture will be runny.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the egg-cheese mixture. Top with mozzarella and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Adapted From Halfbaked Harvest