You are just a few easy ingredients away from making the most flavorful Calabacitas Con Elote Recipe! With zucchini and Libby’s® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn, this simple side dish cooks up in 10 minutes and goes with just about everything. This gluten-free side is perfect when you’re looking to break away from rice and pasta, and with a summer full of salads, this Calabacitas recipe will be a true crowd pleaser. Follow the tips below for the best (and quickest!) results, as well as ways to customize this versatile dish!
Back To My Roots
More like my college roots, to be exact.
Living in Socorro, NM, was an amazing experience, even as a broke college student. It’s where I discovered sopapillas, posole, and the very dish I’m sharing today.
My friends whipped it up one evening for a group dinner at this fabulously vintage Victorian home, and I instantly fell in love.
This dish is a simpler version of a more traditional Calabacitas recipe, which includes hatch green chiles and queso fresco, but it’s still every bit as delicious!
What’s In This Calabacitas Con Elote Recipe?
Just a few ingredients!
- Zucchini, squash, or a combo of the two
- Libby’s® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn
- Splash of milk
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper
That’s it! Did you know you could pack so much flavor into such simple staple foods?
I love reaching for Libby’s® Canned Vegetables because they cut down on prep time since I don’t have to cut the corn from the cob and cook it down, which is a convenience I adore when family and friends come over to chill in my backyard and enjoy the summer.
How Do You Make This Side Dish?
Like I said earlier, this savory side whips up in about 10 minutes. But how?
- Start with a hot cooking surface, whether skillet or griddle
- Sear and lightly sauté zucchini
- Add one can of Libby’s® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn (drained)
- Toss in a splash of milk
- Top with cheese
When I get outside in the summer, I love to break out my outdoor griddle and throw down on this dish right then and there, it’s great! I love pairing this side with steak, or when I’m going for a super-fast meal, I just make some quesadillas!
The key to preventing soggy squash is to start your cooking surface at a higher heat, so you sear the veggies before they cook down completely. Add the corn just at the end of the zucchini being ready, then toss in the milk and stir until it cooks away. Once that’s done, turn off the heat and top with cheese and let it melt!
Simple Calabacitas Con Elote Recipe
Whether you’re spending the summer indoors or out, this Calabacitas recipe will complement whatever you’re making for dinner. With zucchini, Libby’s® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn, and Monterey Jack cheese, this side dish cooks up in 10 minutes and delivers on flavor. Have fun with this side by topping it with pico de gallo, adding some spicy hatch chiles, or stirring in some taco meat to make this a full meal experience.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5-star rating!
You May Also Like…
Simple Calabacitas Con Elote Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large zucchini or squash halved and sliced
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz can Libby's® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn drained
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Heat canola oil in a large, 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and sear, stirring occasionally, until browned but not overly soft, around 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the Libby's® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn and stir until hot, around 2 minutes. Add the milk and continue stirring until the milk cooks off. Sprinkle once more with salt and pepper, then turn off the heat.
- Top the calabacitas with Monterey Jack cheese and allow to melt completely. Serve immediately.