Round out your Mediterranean-themed Thanksgiving feast with some fantastically flavored Roasted Red Cabbage! Topped with tahini, soft, crumbly goat cheese, and an assortment of crunchy nuts and seeds, this simple side dish will wow the crowd, however big or small, this holiday season. Serve alongside salt-roasted sweet potatoes, maple tahini acorn squash, and a beautiful za’atar dijon smoked turkey for the perfect dinner.
Why Make This Roasted Red Cabbage?
This is another recipe I first had when I traveled to Israel, and it was so simple, and so delicious, I thought it would make the perfect addition to a Mediterranean-themed Thanksgiving feast.
- It may take longer than normal dishes, but it’s very hands-off.
- You can both roast and boil the cabbage on the Cuisinart Twin Oaks Pellet & Gas Grill by utilizing the extra burner beside the gas grill!
- The cabbage can be prepared ahead of time and heated back up before serving.
What’s In This Red Cabbage Recipe?
- fresh red cabbage
- olive oil
- sea salt & pepper
- goat cheese
- nuts & seeds
How To Make Roasted Red Cabbage
You’re going to boil the cabbage first in a large pot until soft. If you’ve never boiled red cabbage before, you’ll enjoy it, because the water turns blue, then deep purple!
Once soft, you cut the cabbage in half and place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet, drizzle it with olive oil, salt and pepper, then toss it on the gas side of the Cuisinart Twin Oaks Grill and essentially…forget about it.
Yes, that’s right! You want it to blacked all around the outside and the top!
How To Serve This Side Dish
If you’re serving it right away, you want to gently break apart each half of cabbage, like unfurling a flower. This loosens the pieces, making it easier for the toppings to get into all the spaces between leaves, plus, it’s easier to cut and pull and serve between many people.
Drizzle with a hearty amount of tahini, then sprinkle with crumbly goat cheese and an assortment of nuts and seeds.
I personally used:
- marcona almonds
- sunflower seeds
If you aren’t serving this right away, gently pack away the cabbage halves and store them in the fridge, then reheat in a 400-degree oven or on the grill on medium-low, then plate as listed above!
Roasted Red Cabbage with Tahini, Goat Cheese, Nuts & Seeds
- Add whole cabbage to a large pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil and cook until soft, about 1-1.5 hours. If water doesn't cover cabbage completely, rotate the cabbage occasionally to cook evenly.
- Preheat the gas side of the Cuisinart Twin Oaks Pellet & Gas Grill to high. Once soft, remove cabbage from water and drain. When cool enough to handle, slice each head of cabbage in half and place, cut side up, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle each half with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and let roast until the outside leaves and the tops are blackened, about 1 hour or so. Remove from the grill and let cool for a few minutes.
- When ready to serve, gently break apart each cabbage half, then drizzle with tahini, sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese, then toss nuts and seeds over the top. Serve hot.
- use whatever nuts and seeds you have on-hand, though I personally used marcona almonds, cashews, pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and sunflower seeds.
- For more tang, swap the goat cheese with thick, full-fat greek yogurt, or some fresh labneh
Share your photo and tag @asimplepantry or #asimplepantry!
Leave a Review